Saturday, May 12, 2012

Strawberries and Sunscreen

 There are two smells in this world that make me think of summer.  Fresh strawberries, and a bottle of sunscreen.  Sometimes, in January, when I am so tired of the gray sky, I will pull out a bottle of sunscreen and think of summer.  Silly, I know, but whatever works.  When I was a kid, my parents would take us once a summer to a strawberry patch in Smithville.  I remember how good it smelled and decided my kiddos needed to experience the same thing.  Of course, we went to Eckerts because it is the best orchard in the world.  If we ever move away from here, we will plan vacations to come to Eckerts.  I just love it.  We put on our sunscreen, enjoyed the warm temperatures, and picked 5 pounds of the most wonderful smelling strawberries you have ever smelled.  And we might have sampled a few along the way : )  Don't worry, another reason why Eckerts is the best...they tell you to eat as many as you want while you pick.





 Can you tell it was hot?  Lainey and Coop have some rosy cheeks.  I think the high was around 94 degrees.  Definitely our warmest day so far.
 Oh, I wish you could smell these!
 After we got home, and cooled off a little bit, we made some strawberry jelly.  I know, I was feeling extra domestic : ) 


The finished product and the end of a perfect day.

No comments: