Friday, May 25, 2012

Lasts

 There is a children's book by Karen Kingsbury that I love and hate all at the same time.  It's called Let Me Hold You Longer.  The first paragraph says:

Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:  First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.  But one day you will move away and leave me to your past, and I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts...

This was an official last for us.  It has been a wonderful year of pre-school with loving teachers, sweet friends, and so much learning.  But on this morning, I couldn't focus on those things very easily.  I had a knot in my stomach knowing that this was a last.  I thought the transition of Lainey going to kindergarten would be a little tough, but if this day was any indication, I might need to have several bags of chocolate handy on her first day to help me cope.  She is excited and talks about kindergarten all the time.  Mommy, on the other hand, just wants this summer to last forever.  

 Skip ahead a few pages in the book and it says:

My life keeps moving faster, stealing precious days that pass.  I want to hold on longer---want to recognize your lasts...For come some bright fall morning, you'll be going far away.  College life will beckon in a brilliant sort of way.  One last hug, one last good-bye, one quick and hurried kiss.  One last time to understand just how much you'll be missed.  I'll watch you leave and think how fast our time together passed.  Let me hold on longer, God, to every precious last.  

So this may seem a little dramatic talking about college and she's not even in kindergarten yet, but this is me treasuring a last.  

A few other moms and I arrived for pick up a little early to watch the kids through the windows.  Happy as can be.  Giving big hugs to each other and their teachers.  I, on the other hand, was choking back tears knowing that a big change is ahead... but am so grateful for the person God is shaping Lainey to be.  

Now, enough talk about change.  We have 2 and 1/2 months of summer and I intend to pack it full of fun.  Bring on the bucket list!

No comments: