Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mommy/Lainey Date

When I was little, we used to get a magazine with pictures of the American Girl Dolls.  Kimberlee and I would look through them and pick our favorites.  I always loved Molly and she liked Samantha I think...or maybe it was the other way around.  I don't remember exactly.  The point is American Girl Dolls were great when I was a kid, and they are still great now (says the 33 year old mom who kinda wanted to buy a doll for herself!)  They recently opened a store in St. Louis and Lainey and I went for a special mommy /daughter date.  It really was such a fun day.  The store kind of reminded me of Disney World in that they make it an experience.  This isn't just a store where you walk in, get your doll and leave.  Oh no, they have a doll bistro, a doll hair salon, there was a mommy/doll scavenger hunt going on while we were there.  There is a section of books that tells the story of each of the dolls, coordinating mommy/ doll outfits and accessories, you get the idea.  Some serious marketing going on here and we loved every minute of it.

Lainey has been wanting the doll of the year, McKenna, for quite some time now.  She is a gymnast and has similar features to Lainey.  Bright blue eyes, fair skin, and brownish blonde hair.  When we arrived I couldn't find a McKenna doll.  Trying not to worry, I found an associate who told us that McKenna was sold out.  Lainey's little face looked like she just lost her best friend.  The lady reassured her that there was another doll that looked just like McKenna and lead us over to her.  She perked up and thanked the associate for helping us.  We were busy looking at other things when she came back to us carrying a box and said, "look what I found in the back room on the top shelf."  It was the very last McKenna doll in the store.  Lainey seriously jumped up and down.  She was an eagle (probably a reference only the Morton's reading this will understand.) So, thank you American Girl Doll associate for taking the extra time to find us the doll Lainey was hoping for : )


 Yep, they have high chairs at the tables for the dolls




 And tea cups
So, yes, I am a fan of American Girl Dolls, but more a fan of this day with my little girl.  I told her that we were keeping this doll forever because I want to remember this day forever.  My little sweetheart a few days before a new, big chapter begins in her life.  Can ya tell I'm a little sad about this one?  The baby/toddler/pre-school days go way too fast.  

No comments: