Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Decorating for Christmas...one of my favorite days of the year!

There are a few days a year that I anticipate with lots of excitement...our anniversary, Lainey's birthday, Jamie's birthday, and this day... when the Christmas decor comes out of the boxes, it's considered socially acceptable to play Christmas music (even though I happen to think it's appropriate in July) we drink hot chocolate and everything looks warm and welcoming with the glow of Christmas lights.
I remember being in kindergarten, coming home from school, and finding that my mom had gotten our Christmas records down from their bright, red box on the top shelf of the hall closet. It was such an exciting day because I knew the tree decorating would soon follow. And yes Seth...I said records! You probably have no idea what those are! My point is that my love for all things Christmas started a very long time ago and now I am having the greatest time passing that joy on to Lainey.
We went Saturday to a tree farm and enjoyed all the festivities including Santa. Lainey is actually quite scared of him but there was a large, ceramic golden retriever right next to him. Mrs. Claus lured her over to see the dog and I was able to snap a picture with the three of them. I have a feeling this may be as close as she gets to the guy in the big, red suit! That's all right with me because Santa is just a game we play. Lainey carefully carries baby Jesus from our nativity around the house and says "hesus" and "bebe." I love watching her learn why it is that Christmas is so special. I hope all of you enjoy the next few weeks in anticipation of the special day when we celebrate the birth of "bebe hesus."
The finished product
I said "smile please" and this was the grin she gave me. It makes me laugh every time I see it!
Our beautiful tree
Lainey loves creating things and they had a craft area set up for the kids to make pictures at the tree farm. This is her unhappy face to be interrupted from her project for a picture!
Lainey thought this one might be perfect for her room.

No comments: